Medical malpractice is the failure by a doctor or other healthcare professional to exercise the required degree of care and skill that a person of the same medical specialty would use under similar circumstances. This is called a “deviation from the standard of care”.
According to an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), over 225,000 people die each year due to physician related causes. This has become the third leading cause of death in the United States, after deaths from heart disease and cancer.
- 12,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery
- 7,000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals
- 20,000 deaths/year from other errors in hospitals
- 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospitals
- 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medication
A victim of medical malpractice can experience tremendous pain and suffering, loss of substantial income, and possibly death. We cannot change the fact that a mistake was made, but we can help make sure the physician or hospital is held accountable for your loss.
Medical science is not perfect, and bad results are bound to happen. If, however, you believe you may have been injured by medical malpractice, call us at 864-777-0000 for a free case review.